Tuesday 16 June 2020

Chattanooga aid station

Moon pies at the #GVRAT

One thing I gathered from the many posts on social media about the GRVAT is that moon pies are somehow essential to completing this challenge. This is a snack that's being produced in or near the Chattanooga. I've read this online so it must be true.

With my virtual self passing Chattanooga recently, I spent last Saturday (a rest day from running) making moon pies.

Step 1: Graham crackers
I don't think I ever had these. Somewhat plain cookies, with a distinct cinnamon flavour. Though I potentially used to much cinnamon because I winged that part of the recipe I found.

Not sure why I bothered with those dots, it'll all be covered up eventually.

Those twelve cookies can make six moon pies. I had a lot of extra dough and made a whole batch of smaller Graham crackers as well.

Step 2: Marshmallow filling
Found a few recipes to make marshmallows, but it seemed like a lot of work. Maybe I'll tackle this in the future, but for now I went with storebought ones. Hey, I'm in a race, clock is ticking.

Step 3: Cover it in chocolate
This is were things got messy. But delish. Taking two Graham crackers, stuffing them with marshmallow (heated it up a bit to make them squishy and runny) and coating it in chocolate.


The end result was served up at my very own GVRAT aid station.


You might imagine it wasn't easy leaving Chattanooga. But the race goes on! And I still have some moon pies left over for the road ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment